This plugin replaces the default recent comments widget so it behaves differently. Instead of the format “username on post title,” the widget will display “username said comment excerpt.”
All development happens on Github at https://github.com/csalzano/recent-comments-widget-with-comment-excerpts
Contact me by posting a message in the forums or @breakfastcodes on twitter.
- Download recent-comments-widget-with-excerpts.zip
- Decompress the file contents
- Upload the recent-comments-widget-with-excerpts folder to a WordPress plugins directory (/wp-content/plugins)
- Activate the plugin from the Administration Dashboard
- Open the Widgets page under the Appearance section
- Drag the widget to an active sidebar
Need help? Have a suggestion?
Contributors & Developers
“Recent Comments Widget with Comment Excerpts” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- [Changed] Changes tested up to version to 6.4.1.
- [Added] Adds a text domain and makes all strings translatable
- [Added] Adds a setting to modify the character length of the comment excerpt
- [Added] Adds a license declaration to confirm this is GPLv2 code
- [Changed] Changes tested up to version number to 5.8.3
- [Changed] Changes the version number to use semantic versioning
- [Changed] Changes the plugin URI to point to the Github repo where I am now maintaining this plugin
- [Removed] Removes inline CSS to best play nice with users’ sites
Wrapped the author name with an HTML span to allow CSS to target only the author name.
Massage the comment data with strip_tags, apply_filters and mb_substr for international characters/unicode
Stop showing ellipsis if the comment length is not long enough to be trimmed by the widget