Delete Duplicate Posts and speed up your website. This plugin searches and removes duplicate posts and their meta data.
You can run it manually or automatically on a fixed schedule.
Experience its Efficiency First-Hand with our Free Test Site: Click here =>
Give our plugin a spin! A streamlined and hassle-free experience awaits you – it only takes a few seconds to get started.
Our plugin’s robust capabilities extend to deleting posts, pages, and even other Custom Post Types enabled on your website. It ensures thorough cleanup by eliminating not just the post, but also the post meta and any other references to the post. This translates into substantial space saving on your WordPress site, leading to enhanced performance.
Choose our Duplicate Post Remover Plugin for a cleaner, smoother and more efficient WordPress experience.
Optimize Large Websites with Ease: Our plugin is designed with scalability in mind. For extensive websites, the task of eliminating duplicate posts can be overwhelming and time-consuming. It may even lead to website timeouts during the deletion process.
That’s why our plugin offers a sophisticated automated feature that cleverly handles this challenge. Instead of trying to remove all duplicates at once, our plugin systematically removes a few posts at a time.
This gradual approach ensures your website remains operational and progressively improves its performance. Experience effortless optimization and enjoy a smoothly running, duplicate-free site with our advanced plugin.
- Select individual posts to delete or select all.
- Manual or automatic deletion
- Keep oldest or newest version.
- Get status email when something is deleted.
- Integrated log shows all activity.
Read more on the plugin page on cleverplugins.com.
- Upload the delete-duplicate-posts folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the Delete Duplicate Posts plugin through the \’Plugins\’ menu in WordPress
- Use the plugin by going to Tools -> Delete Duplicate Posts
Should I take a backup before using this tool?
Yes! You should always take a backup before deleting posts or pages on your website.
What happens if it deletes something I do not want to delete?
You should restore the backup you took of your website before you ran this tool.
Contributors & Developers
“Delete Duplicate Posts” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Removed dependency for PHP 7.2 allowing for websites running older PHP to install.
- Security update – Thank you Huynh Tien Si and Patchstack for reporting this bug.
The vulnerability made it possible for a user on your site with contributor level access to delete posts. This has now been fixed by only allowing admins to use the plugin or even access the interface.
- Code refactoring – The plugin now runs faster, loading via AJAX dataTables. This makes individual selection and navigation much easier.
- New: “Why” – A small note next to each duplicate explains why a post is marked as duplicate.
- Tested up to WP 6.4
- Fix bug with ‘nav_menu_item’ getting removed, thank you Fahad.
- Freemius SDK update to 2.5.10
- Fix a bug
- Verified notices are supposed to show every 180 days.
- Updated 3rd party SDK Freemius to 2.5.8
- Fix bug when creating new site under WordPress Multisite – thank you @artelis
- Fix bug with redirects created not using the correct relative URL.
- Update 3rd party SDK Freemius to 2.5.7
- Tested up to WP 6.2
- FIX: Error message on some installations with custom SDK installed. Updated 3rd party library Freemius. Happens rarely, but please upgrade.
- Big thank you to Angelo for translating! 🙂
- Improved: Posts will be deleted immediately or moved to trash if enabled in WordPress.
- Updated Freemius SDK to latest version.
- Updated review reminder interval.
- Updated 3rd party libraries.
- Tested up to WP 6.1.1
- FIX: Limit amount of duplicates to find – reduces server load for large sites with many duplicates.
- FIX: PHP notice about missing redirection database when loading the plugin page.
- FIX: E-mails not getting sent – thank you @helenekh
- Added debug information for email sending in the log.
- Tested up to WP 6.0.3
- Updated 3rd party libraries
- Updated language files for translators
- Add fixes to prevent menu items being deleted in some cases – “nav_menu_item”
- Update Freemius library to v. 2.4.5
- Code improvements so the plugin runs faster overall.
- Updated language files.
- NEW: (Pro only) – Feature: 301 redirects deleted duplicates.
- FIX: Plugin would not show results if the limit was set to “No limit”.
- Fix: Reworked JS code – fixing the list of duplicates not loading.
- Added optional debug logging to help pinpoint bugs.
- Updated language file for translations.
- Cleaning up PHP code.
- Trimmed CSS file.
- Fix – Now you can choose how many duplicates to see in the interface.
- Tested with WordPress 6.0.
- Updated language file for translations.
* New: Free demo – Test how the plugin works, just click and in a few seconds your unique demo site is online. Thank you TasteWP.com 🙂
- Security tightening.
- Fix bug with Composer dependencies for PHP less than 7.3
- Fix problem with deleting old log entries in database.
- Fix problem with log database not being created automatically.
- Added button in sidebar to recreate missing database tables.
- Security Hardening
- FIX: Duplicates not always properly detected, thank you for the reporters to help fix this bug 🙂
- NEW: Improved and faster lookup of duplicates.
- NEW: See number of posts per post type.
- NEW: See peak memory usage in the log.
- NEW: See combined count by post_status in the log.
- NEW: If there is a problem looking up duplicates in the database (shared servers have limited resources), the problem will be shown in the log.
- Updated language files.
- Tested up to WP 5.8
- Updated 3rd party libraries for PHP 8
- Tested up to WP 5.7
- Minor bugfixes
- 303,187 downloads
- Hotfix – “The plugin generated 15 characters of unexpected output during activation” – Thanks Fabio.
- Beta feature: Limit amount of duplicates to find. On big sites with many duplicates the plugin can time out. This feature allows you to limit the amount of results. This feature is only available for free while being tested. Thank you Fabio.
- Minor text or layout fixes.
- 286,392 downloads
- New: Manually select which duplicates to delete (or use the automatic)
- Fix: WordPress 5.6 jQuery compatibility.
- Fix: Not allowing to disable final post status if only one left. Thank you @nd62.
- Work on improving PHP 8 compatibility.
- Updated 3rd party libraries to latest version. Freemius v. 2.4.1
- 283,070 downloads
- Fix bug with email not sending. Thank you Fatih.
- 272,622 downloads
- Introducing Multisite compatibility
- Updated 3rd party Freemius library to v. 2.4.1
- Tested with WordPress 5.5.3
- 265,176 downloads
- Code cleanup
- Tested with WordPress 5.5
- Updated SDK Freemius to 126.96.36.199
- 250,931 downloads
- Fix – automatically deactivate free version if pro version is activated – Thank you Jordi.
- Fix – Missing link to privacy data.
- Fix – Not correctly identifying original post when comparing with post meta values – Thank you Reinhard.
- New – more details how long a process took is now stored in the log.
- 242,749 downloads
- Code cleanup and security hardening.
- 235,094 downloads
- Removes some debug code, whoopsie.
- 227,615 downloads
- Plugin now looks for duplicates in posts and pages per default, no need to set it after activating plugin.
- Fix: “Error deleting post” showing even if the post was deleted. Thank you Murray 🙂
- The log is now updated when list of duplicates is updated.
- 225,725 downloads
- Fixing activation bugs – Thank you @locutus45 and @paul1427
- Fixing code not working with PHP 5.6
- Fixed missing translation strings – Thank you Canny for translating to Korean! 😀
- Added automatic reload when manually deleting duplicates.
- 222,012 downloads
- Fixing bug in install routines
- 219,984 downloads
- Tested up to WP 5.4.1
- Pro: Choose different post stati to look for; publish, draft, scheduled, pending, private and any other custom post status.
- Code improvement, works faster.
- 218,123 downloads
- Rewrote plugin to better handle big sites with lots of duplicate content.
- Fixed automatic deletion (cron job) not working properly on some sites.
- Security fixes and hardening throughout the plugin.
- Log is now AJAX based to help load on big sites.
- Duplicate list now loads via AJAX to help with load on big sites.
- Added inline help – Helpscout
- Updated Freemius 3rd party SDK to 2.3.2
- Added option to upgrade to Pro version.
- Updated language files.
- Removed option to run every minute – Sorry, but not a good idea for many websites and hosting companies do not like it either.
- 213,367 downloads
- Direct link to support forum
- Fixed missing file in 3rd party SDK.
- Fix – the limitation on how many posts were deleted per batch did not always work, it does not.
- PHP notices removed from the log thank you @brianbrown
- Security fix
- Added two more intervals, every minute and every 5 minutes.
- Updated 3rd party script Freemius
- Fixed bugs introduced with updating to WordPress 4.9.1 – Thank you to all who reported the problem.
- Fixed esc_sql() for WordPress 4.8.3
- Fix missing 3rd party scripts.
- Optimized delete routines – Thank you Claire and Vaclav 🙂 Up to 20-30% faster deleting.
- Added timing functions so you can see how long it takes to delete in the log.
- Permanently delete posts and pages – no longer goes to trash.
- Fix – The log is now shown with latest events at top.
- Updated 3rd party scripts – Freemius update 188.8.131.52.1 to 184.108.40.206
- Updated Freemius SDK.
- Fixing problem with keeping latest or oldests posts.
- Fixed PHP Notification – Logs were not automatically cleaned.
- Fixed missing icon
- Listed freemius as contributer
- Fixing PHP Warning if no post types selected
- Fixed a mistake in Freemius configuration :-/
- Added language .pot file
- Improved Danish translation
- Added Fremius for more usage details – Opt-in
- Fix PHP notices
- Clean up code comments
- Logo now in Retina
- Fixes which kinds of posts that can be cleaned- Thanks Mark – https://cleverplugins.com/support/topic/delete-duplicate-post-of-a-different-post-type/
- Option up from max 250 posts to 500 – Thanks Mark.
- Improved visual style in the table listing.
- Fixes problem with cron job not working properly.
- New: Choose interval for automated cron job to run.
- Adds 3 cron interval 10 min, 15 min and 30 minutes to WordPress.
- Minor PHP Notice fix.
- Code cleaning up
- Added log notes for cron jobs and manual cleaning.
- Added missing screenshots, banners and icons.
- Big rewrite, long overdue, many bugs fixed
- NEW: Choose between post types.
- Optional cron job now runs every hour, not every half hour.
- The log was broken, it has now been fixed.
- Removed unused and old code.
- Improved plugin layout.
- Fix for deleting any dupes but posts – ie. not menu items :-/
- Fix for PHP warnings.
- Fix for old user capabilities code.
- Code refactoring and updates – Basically rewrote most of the plugin.
- Removed link in footer.
- Removed dashboard widget.
- Internationalization – Now plugin can be translated
- Danish language file added.
- Bugfix: Problem with the link-donation logic. Hereby fixed.
- Bugfix: Could not access the settings page from the Plugins page.
- Ads are no longer optional. Sorry about that 🙂
- Changes to the amount of duplicates you can delete using CRON.
- Bugfix : A minor speed improvement.
- Bugfix : Minor logic error fixed.
- Bugfix : Now actually deletes duplicate posts when clicking the button manually.. Doh…
- Design interface updated
- New automatic CRON feature as per many user requests
- Optional: E-mail notifications
- Fixes problem with dashboard widget. Thanks to Derek for pinpointing the error.
- Ensures all post meta for the deleted blogposts are also removed…
- Uses internal delete function, which also cleans up leftover meta-data. Takes a lot more time to complete however and might time out on some hosts.
- First release